Rolo Tomassi are playing the biggest headline show of their career in London at the Highbury Garage. There is no lack of love for them from us at Thrash Hits so there was no way we were going to miss it. Extravaganza time!
Six things we found out when Rolo Tomassi destroyed The Garage:
1) It’s possible to play a 40-minute instrumental set if the audience has half a brain between them. Brontide don’t have a vocalist but kept the growing crowd captive with their proggy post-hardcore despite this. The fact that their drummer, William Bowerman also drums for La Roux is neither here nor there.
2) The Garage is an alright venue. If you ignore the fact the hideous-tasting beer costs £4.10, the sightlines are impressive throughout the venue and bands actually sound good in here. Just get drunk in the Wetherspoon’s across the road first.
3) Holy State really ought to stop being DIY, independent and unsigned. The world need to know more about them and old school hardcore. They got on the Biffy Clyro arena tour at the end of 2010 and this tour all off their own backs. They’re good enough to go much further
Rolo Tomassi @ London Highbury Garage - 07 May 2011 c/o Ben Gibson
4) For every good tshirt on show, there’s a pair of black-framed glasses. Hipster alert! There’s a plethora of impressively obscure hardcore bands adorning tshirts tonight, but it’s all cancelled out by the girl who ram-raided American Apparel and wore all her spoils to this gig. Hipster alert!
5) Bigger is better. This may be Rolo Tomassi‘s biggest ever headline show but it’s also one of their best. Sounding harder, heavier and more accomplished than ever before, the young Sheffield quintet have risen to the occasion. There are few that suspected this back in 2005 when they were playing in living rooms in the Midlands.
6) Rolo Tomassi are heavier than your band. With “youthful innocence” a reasonable description of their appearance, it’s always a genuine surprise when Joe Nicholson’s riffs blow your tits off and Eva Spence screams both your and her face off. Do not judge a book by its cover and all that. Do not.
Rolo Tomassi @ London Highbury Garage setlist
Fuck The Pleasantries, Let’s Rock
I Love Turbulence