Opening up Download Festival 2011 on the Friday night is the band that closed 2009’s festival: Def Leppard. To help get you excited for the first of the summer’s massive fucking rock festivals, here’s a few videos and bits of shit trivia about the Steel City’s finest. Some people might not know!
1) Def Leppard wrote one of the ultimate stripper songs EVER in 1987. ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’ is a great song anyway but it works much better with hot women nearby. We intend to surround ourselves with hot women on Friday evening.
2) They’ve sold over 65 million albums over their career. Not bad, eh? Hysteria has sold well over 20 million copies worldwide and with its huge-selling predecessor, Pyromania, the Sheffield rockers are now one of only five bands with two original studio albums to sell over 10 million copies in the US. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Van Halen are the others, FYI.
3) ‘Photograph’ was Leppard’s first #1 single, way back in 1983. It was “only” in the US Rock Chart but that was their first proper taste of the massive time.
4) At a German festival in 1993, Glenn Danzig insulted super-buff Leppard guitarist, Vivian Campbell’s wife. Def Leppard collectively proceeded to spill Danzig’s soup. Considering the equally buff other guitarist, Phil Collen is a black belt at karate, the angry former Misfits frontman probably should’ve let the soup go. Danzig’s headlining the Third Stage at exactly the same time on Friday night. Ooh err. Backstage rumble?!
5) ‘Two Steps Behind’ is just a mint song. Fucking sing along!
6) Ever think about hanging out on a rocky outcrop with your mates? Ever think about co-ordinating your wardrobes over the phone beforehand? Ever think tight, high-waisted, stonewashed blue jeans and a white vest was an awesome combo? Ever play in Def Leppard??