It’s the 4th annual World Goth Day today, 22 May 2013 (5th in total) and, just as we do every year, we thought we’d celebrate by celebrating goths with a few re-posts and as much new goth stuff as we can think of. This is what it’s all about, if you don’t know…
“World Goth Day is exactly what it says on the wrapper-a day where the goth scene gets to celebrate its own being, and an opportunity to make its presence known to the rest of the world. This day falls on 22nd May of every year. The purpose of this site is to centralise as much as possible everything you would need to make World Goth Day a success, and therefore make the goth scene a success in your part of the world.”
1) Something that’s happened in the past 12 months is ‘Gangnam Style’. And yes, there has been a goth cover of Psy’s K-dancehall classic. Here it is. If there’s a goth cover of ‘Call Me Maybe’, drop us a line. We’re interested.
2) Much more importantly, earlier in 2013, Greater Manchester Police started recording attacks on members of subcultures (such as goths and emos) as hate crimes. This was a direct result of work done following the fatal attack on Sophie Lancaster in 2007 and is a good thing. Click here to read more on the BBC.
3) Here’s a photo from 2009 of the former Prime Minister of Spain, Jose Zapatero and his goth daughters with President of the USA, Barack Obama. It’s still cool.
5) Here’s an episode of Wife Swap USA that features an entire goth family. It’s a feisty one.
6) We wrote an A-to-Z of Goth in 2010. It still holds up today.